Inspection of Miakomo’s Reusable - Universal Respirator Frame (URF) is recommended before each use to ensure good operating condition and when disassembled before cleaning. Here is the procedure we recommend prior to use:
- Check the URF for cracks, tears, and dirt
- Be certain the URF, especially the seal areas not distorted
- Examine the waffle for signs of distortion, cracking or tearing
- Make sure that flexible straps are intact and have good elasticity
- When assembled per the URF instructions, the user must confirm that the filter is sealed in place by the waffle and that all securing tabs are seated properly
Cleaning is recommended after each use. To clean the components of the frame, disinfecting wipes (e.g. Lysol or Clorox wipes) may be used as an interim method in the daily cleaning schedule, but this should not be the only method used. When using disinfecting wipes make sure to not get the filter wet with any liquid.
The URF needs to be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day, or more often depending on the environment that the user was in, with one of the following methods:
- Remove the filter. Reuse of filters is not recommended, and it is suggested that user seek out guidance from the CDC or other health organizations on how often to replace filters when used in an impure environment
- Remove the straps from the respirator
- Inspect all URF components for cracks, tears, or dirt
- Wash all the components of the URF in warm soapy water with a clean towel or sponge to gently remove any surface dirt, oils, or other contaminants
- Rinse in fresh, warm water and air dry in a clean non-contaminated area
- Inspect all mask components prior to reassembly to ensure it is dry and not damaged. A respirator with any damaged or deteriorated components must have those parts replaced
- Remove the filter media in a safe manner so as not to spread any contaminants. Reuse of filters is not recommended, and it is suggested that user seek out guidance from the CDC or other health organizations on how often to replace filters when used in an impure environment
- Remove the straps from the URF
- Inspect all components for cracks, tears, or dirt
- Place the URF and waffle on the top shelf of the dishwasher. Place the straps in the silverware holder, making sure that they do not bunch up or lay in a way that will inhibit them from getting cleaned and rinsed
- Run the dishwasher on normal, with a heated dry cycle
- Remove all mask components after the dishwasher has completed all cycles
- Inspect the respirator components prior to reassembly to ensure it is dry and not damaged. A respirator with any damaged or deteriorated components must have those components replaced
This respirator should be stored so that it does not become damaged or deformed. Do not store in pockets or plastic bags. Infectious material deposited on personal protective equipment may cause it to become a vehicle for transmission. In those situations, care is needed when removing and storing personal protective equipment to avoid contamination of skin, clothing, and mucous membranes. Remove the URF and either hang it in a designated area or store and transport it in a clean paper bag (consider labeling with a user’s name to prevent reuse by another individual).
NOTE: If use of Miakomo products are taking place in a commercial, industrial, or medical facility, please refer to the Safety Manager or official company standards and practices for inspection and cleaning directives. These directives may be different from CDC recommendations.